Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Relaunch of The Eternal Stew

Years ago (okay, just two years ago), I launched this blog to publish some humor sort of pieces. I quickly gave up on it. Frankly, I didn't have much to say.

Lately, though, I've felt called to talk about my experiences with living a primal lifestyle per Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint. It's been eight weeks, and it's changed me.

It's not just the 17 pounds I've lost so far. It's something more.

Since 2007, when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea, I've studied nutrition. I learned about glycemic loads, Omega 3 fatty acids, micronutrients, inflammation, etc. To what effect? I lost weight, gained it back, tried all sorts of approaches (regular low carb, the Zone, South Beach, Mediterranean, allergy elimination, etc). I've known most the pieces. I've known Conventional Wisdom is wrong. I ate mostly whole foods, hit the gym regularly for strength and cardio.

Where did it get me?

Two months ago, I had my annual physical and had high blood sugar. I weighed the same I did in 2007. A lot of effort. Nothing gained.

That night, I started reading Mark's Daily Apple. I started the Primal Blueprint. It made complete sense as to what I was doing wrong. Two weeks later, my blood sugar was in the acceptable range. My HDL (known by most as the "good" cholesterol) was up a tick.

In a month, I'll go back for another blood sugar test. Already, though, after 17 pounds melting away, I can tell you, this is the right way to eat and exercise.

So that's what this blog is about. I may still throw in some humor pieces here in there, but I'll be spending a lot of time talking about my experiences trying to become more primal, healthier, and happier.

No comments: